Portland International Airport
Waiting for Requests
- Wait in the designated staging area. Only drivers within the designated staging area — 8157 NE Air Cargo Rd — are added to the queue. Only wait in the designated Lyft spots. No staging in front or to the side of the building or in the oversized bus/shuttle lanes.
- The queue is first in-first out. The driver who has been waiting within the staging area in driver mode the longest gets the next request. Your physical location within the staging area does not affect your spot in the queue, but if you exit the staging area or log out of driver mode, you will lose your spot.
- If the staging area is full, you must leave the airport. You may not wait for requests anywhere else on airport property or use any other parking lots while in driver mode.
- Passenger cancellations don't affect your place in line. If your passenger cancels on you, head back to the staging area. As long as you're back within 5 minutes, you'll be placed at the front of the queue.
- Driver cancellations and missed requests do affect your place in line. If you are the one to cancel a request, or if you miss a request, you're placed at the back of the queue.
- You can view your place in line in the app. Learn how to view your position in the queue here.
- Pick up passengers from Arrivals (Lower Roadway). When driving in, veer left at the fork to follow the signs for Commercial Vehicles. Get in the right lane after the fork, and follow signs for Lyft. Pull over in the left lanes to pick up your passengers.
- The Lyft app moves the passenger's pin to an approved pickup area. If you're having trouble finding each other, make sure you have both gone to the pin's location and are on the correct level of the airport.
- Do not pick up passengers at the curbside terminal entrance.
- Wait in the staging area if your passenger is delayed when picking up or waiting for additional requests after drop-offs. If the staging area is full, you will need to leave airport property.
- Do not wait or circle back at the airport if the passenger is delayed.
- Short ride bump: If you receive a request for a short ride from the airport after waiting in the queue, you may qualify for a higher queue position after you drop off your passenger. You'll receive an SMS after dropping off to let you know you have the option to return to the staging area for a preferred spot in the queue. Please note, if you give a ride before returning to the staging area, you may still qualify for a preferred spot in line.
- Drop-off passengers on the commercial roadway on the upper level.
- Do not wait at the airport terminal or after drop-off. Instead, proceed to the staging area.